If you’re after a sweet treat but you’re trying to eat healthily, The Fit Foodie has you covered. Her new book LOVE MOVE EAT is full of delicious morsels of loveliness.
Check out my interview with The Fit Foodie (Sally O’Neil), and while you wait for your copy to wing its way to you, try this delicious recipe for Frozen Choc Banana Pops, yummo!
Frozen Choc Banana Pops
Preparation Time: 10 minutes (plus freezing)
I’ve heard way too many people say they’re scared of eating bananas because they’re full of carbs and sugar that will make them fat. You only have to Google The Banana Girl to know that’s not true (though I don’t personally recommend eating 30 bananas a day).
Eat a banana and say hello to nutrients, antioxidants and resistant starch that fills you up, without filling you out. The riper the banana the more sugar it contains, so unless you need a hit of glycogen post-workout, go for ones that are yellow and unblemished.
Freeze them, cover them in yummy stuff, and you’ve got one hella-good snack.
1 cup 90% dark chocolate or leftover basic raw chocolate
1 tablespoon tahini (optional)
topping ideas: ½ cup chopped nuts (such as hazelnuts, pistachios), shredded coconut, rose petals, cacao nibs, caramel sauce (recipe page 182), tahini, orange rind, matcha green tea powder, bee pollen
1. Line a baking tray or large plate with baking paper
2. Peel the bananas and cut them in half widthwise
3. Push a popsicle stick into each banana half from the flat cut side
4. Melt the chocolate however you like, then dip in the bananas or drizzle the chocolate over the bananas
5. Sprinkle each banana pop with your fave topping idea so that they stick to the chocolate
6. Place the pops on the baking paper, then drizzle with tahini (if using)
7. Freeze for at least 3 hours before serving
Workout Buddy: Bananas protect against muscle cramps during workouts by fuelling your body with potassium. Eat one before a sweat sesh for a hit of energy.
Recipe extracted with kind permission from LOVE MOVE EAT by Sally O’Neil, Bauer Books, RRP $34.99
WHERE TO BUY LOVE MOVE EAT