And what better way to do it than with a homemade pizza! Everyone loves homemade pizza, right?
Here’s Katie’s super-flexible recipe. Get cooking, good looking.
Pizza is a family favourite usually enjoyed on a Friday night after a busy week at work and school. Making your own pizza at home is a fun and interactive activity which children love.
Pizza making gives your child control and a sense of ownership over what he or she wants to put on their pizza, while you have control over available toppings. I suggest you offer vegetables that you know they will eat and then add one or two that they are not so familiar with.
Making your own pizza dough is fun and children love the texture and the opportunity to squish and flatten the dough between the fingers and palms of their hands. At times it is more convenient to buy a base and I suggest either:
- Pitta bread
- Mountain bread
- Lebanese bread
Make your own dough
- 1tsp caster sugar
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1tsp olive or macadamia nut oil
- 1tsp Himalayan salt
- 2 ½ cups flour of your choice
- 1 tbsp dry yeast
- In a bowl add sugar, water, yeast- cover the bowl with a tea towel and set aside until bubbles appear on the service
- Place Flour, olive oil and salt in a bowl
- Add yeast, mix and form a dough
- Kneed your dough for a couple of minutes until smooth
- Divide dough into 2 halves and set aside covered with a tea towel for 25-30 mins
*you want to see the two halves double in size
- Divide the dough into the size pizza bases you want- two big or 8 mini for example
- Preheat your oven to 180C
- Lightly flour your bench and roll out your dough and place the bases on a baking tray on baking paper
(the measurements will vary depending on the number of people)
*Use any vegetable that is left in your fridge for the week
- Tomato paste- salt and sugar free
- 1 cup of grated cheese
- ¼ finely chopped onion
- ¼ grated zucchini
- ¼ fresh pineapple
- 1 cup of shaved ham/shredded chicken/ left over mince
- 1 cup of fresh spinach
- fresh herbs- parsley or basil
- Spread a layer of tomato paste
- Top with desired ingredients
- Cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are softened and grated cheese looks perfect!
Thanks, Katie, that’s our Friday night sorted.
Whatever you do, have fun. Embrace the chaos, the mess can be cleared up afterwards (maybe they can help with that too!).